Friday 12 June 2009

Swan Pool

Last weekend I made a trip to the midlands! On saturday I met up with Karen T (from my Gozo trip) to take part in a 1000m race with triathletes on a lake near Milton Keynes. It was fun watching 98 triathletes done full body wetsuits when all I had was a swimming costume. As we got in the water to start my initial thought was how warm the water felt - as I looked over all I could see was people shivering as they waited to start! Anyway I did the 'Big Cow' race in 20.58mins which turned out to put me 74th overall and 3rd female vet - not bad seen as it was my first ever swimming race!
Anyway on the sunday (the real reason for going to the midlands!) was a 6hour swim in Swan Pool, Sandwell, Nr Birmingham. Dan Earthquake from the Channel Swimming Association had arranged for the swim to take place in order for swimmers to undertake a 6 hour qualifing swim for the channel. Myself and Karen had already done our 6 hour swim in Gozo but I reackoned it was good practice! Well the weather was awful - it was ponking it down with rain and cloudy! Both Karen and I hid underneath our cagoules until the last minute in the vain hope Dan was going to cancel the event! He didn't and at 11am precisley off we went! The pool is a 800m lap course around 7 bouys so I worked out each lap would take me about 16mins or so! The water was okay and not too cold! To cut a long and boring story short both Karen and myself managed the 6 hours! I swam 20lengths (10miles) but I don't know how many lengths Karen did (it was certainly more than me!)
As I got out of the water at 5pm the rain had stopped and the sun was trying to come out between the clouds! I was tired but okay and not too shivery! I really enjoyed the swim (sad I know!). I then headed off to my aunts house 20mins away for a welcome bath and beef stew!! Big thanks to Karen and Peter, Dan, the lifeboat crew who did safety for us for the whole 6 hours (how boring was that!?), Aunty Linda and Jim!!

No comments:

Post a Comment