Thursday 16 July 2009

It was one of those days....

Last weekend I swam in the BLDSA 2 way Bala Lake in North Wales (6miles). John and I stayed in our motorhome and on a cloudy and windy sat morning we set off for the lake. I have to say both of us were not really 'in the mood!'. This was reflected in the swim! At 1300hrs the siren sounded and off we went. John was doing safety in his kayak and Karen T was swimming with Lisa doing her safety in Karen's kayak. As soon as I started swimming my goggles steamed up so badly that I could see barely nothing!! I tried to clear them regularly but it just wouldn't work. John spat on them a couple of times but still to no avail! I carried on swimming then stopping and was getting more and more annoyed!!! After almost 1.5 hours I was going nowhere and considered stopping for good. My last attempt of getting John to spit on them eventually worked - thank god!!!! I could now put my head down and get to the bottom of the lake, turn around and come back. The weather was awful as well - it was really windy and was against me as I swam. John also wasn't very well prepared and everytime I stopped to feed we got blown back down the lake. this was SO frustrating. Eventually I got to the bottom but it took me 2hrs 24mins which was terrible! I now had to redeem myself and set about to get to the finish! I passed a guy but was being catched by a lady with a rowing boat as her safety. I managed to finish in 4 hours 24mins so it took me 24 mins less to get back!! John told me we stopped a total of 18mins so if I hadn't messed about I would have got home quicker. I put this swim down to experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment